In this post, we will look at the 12 Universities that Offer Dentistry in Nigeria. There are as many reasons to be a dentist. It is a career that provides plenty of rewards and challenges as well as an opportunity to help people and make communities healthier places.
Although primarily associated with teeth among the general public, the field of dentistry or dental medicine is thus not limited to odontology– the study of the structure, development, and abnormalities of the teeth. It is the study of the mouth and its disorders and diseases.
It encompasses treatment of the face, jaw, cheek, structures in the mouth including teeth, lips, tongue, palates, gums, saliva and salivary glands and other procedures.
Roles of Dentists
Dentists are doctors who specialize in oral health. Their responsibilities include:
- Diagnosing oral diseases.
- Promoting oral health and disease prevention.
- Creating treatment plans to maintain or restore the oral health of their patients.
- Interpreting x-rays and diagnostic tests.
- Ensuring the safe administration of anesthetics.
- Monitoring growth and development of the teeth and jaws.
- Performing surgical procedures on the teeth, bone and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Dentists’ oversight of the clinical team is critical to ensuring safe and effective oral care. Even seemingly routine procedures such as tooth extractions, preparing and placing fillings or administering anesthetics carry potential risks of complications such as infection, temporary or even permanent nerve damage, prolonged bleeding and pain.
Branches of Dentistry
Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
Oral pathology is the specialty of dentistry and discipline of pathology that deals with the nature, identification, and management of diseases affecting the oral and maxillofacial regions. It is a science that investigates the causes, processes, and effects of these diseases. The practice of oral pathology includes research and diagnosis of diseases using clinical, radiographic, microscopic, biochemical, or other examinations.
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
Oral and maxillofacial radiology is the specialty of dentistry and discipline of radiology concerned with the production and interpretation of images and data produced by all modalities of radiant energy that are used for the diagnosis and management of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral and maxillofacial region.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is the specialty of dentistry which includes the diagnosis, surgical and adjunctive treatment of diseases, injuries and defects involving both the functional and esthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics is the dental specialty that includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correction of malocclusion, as well as neuromuscular and skeletal abnormalities of the developing or mature orofacial structures.
Pediatric Dentistry is an age-defined specialty that provides both primary and comprehensive preventive and therapeutic oral health care for infants and children through adolescence, including those with special health care needs.
12 Universities that Offer Dentistry in Nigeria
- BAYERO – Bayaro University
- BENIN – University of Benin
- CALABAR – University of Calabar
- IBADAN – University of Ibadan
- JOS – University of Jos
- LAGOS – University of Lagos Akoka
- LASU – Lagos State University, Ojo
- MAIDUGURI – University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri
- OAU – Obafemi Awolowo University
- OSUMS – Osums State Universities Of Technology
- PHC – University of Port-Harcourt
- UNN – University of Nigeria Nsukka.
Employment Opportunities for Dentists in Nigeria
There are lots of places where gynecologists can be gainfully employed in Nigeria. Some of such places include:
- Federal and states ministry of health
- University teaching hospitals across the country
- Federal medical centers across the country
- State hospitals
In additions there are numerous private dental clinics across the country. Some of the prominent ones where graduates of dentistry can seek employment include:
- Aquagem Dental Clinic Ltd.
- Blanche Dental Clinic
- Blissfield Dental Clinic
- Dental Plus Nigeria
- Dove Dental Clinic and many more.
» Download Nigerian Universities Scholarship Past Questions and Answers
» Download WAEC Past Questions for All subjects
» Get your Original JAMB Result Slip with your passport on it.