UNILORIN Undergraduate Admission Requirements . Are you a prospective undergraduate student of the University of Ilorin? Search no further for more information. If yes, see the full UNILORIN undergraduate admission requirements here.
UNILORIN Undergraduate Admission Requirements
For you secure admission into the University of Ilorin, you have to do the following;
1. Admission by Entrance Examination – U.M.E
The Entrance Examination is conducted by JAMB. In addition to attaining required standard in Entrance Examination, candidates must satisfy the general University as well as specific Faculty requirements.
For the general requirement, candidates must obtain at least a credit pass in subjects at GCE O’ Level or approved equivalent at not more than two sittings. (See tables for specific faculty requirements).
2. Admission by Direct Entry
Candidates must posses one of the following qualifications:
- Two passes at the Principal or Advanced Level with GCE O’ Level approved equivalent credit passes in three other subjects at not more than two sittings.
- Three passes at the Principal or Advanced Level with GCE. O’ Level approved equivalent credit passes in two other subjects at not more than two sittings; (Passes at the Principal or Advanced Level may be obtained at the G.C.E. A’ Level, HSC. or IJMB).
- Passes in two recognised NCE subjects with G.C.E. O’ Level credits equivalent in three other subjects. Education is accepted as a third Level subject for those taking courses in Education.
- Candidates who successfully pass the final examination of the following Institutions shall also be considered eligible for admission.
- The International Baccalaureate obtained from accredited Institution with relevant grading.
- National Diploma from Polytechnics or Colleges of Technology-only applicable to some faculties (See table on special Faculty requirements).
- The Defence Academy Certificate as moderated by the University of Ibadan.
Other conditions to note:
- No subjects may be counted at both O’ and A’ Levels.
- General Paper at HSC or in any other examination will not be accepted as a substitute for English Language.
3. B.Ed. (Sandwich/Part-Time)
Students are expected to combine Education with any of the following subjects: Science, Mathematics, Language Arts (English or Yoruba Only) and Social Studies. The following subjects are accepted for Social Studies: Economics, Geography, Government, History, Political Science and Social Studies.
4. Admission into 2-Year Degree Programme
(See table on Special Faculty requirements under Faculty of Education).
5. A. Remedial Programme
An applicant must pass the SSCE/GCE O’ Level in English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics, with Credit level passes in at least three (3) of these subjects at not more than two (2) sittings.
- Faculty of Agriculture will accept credit pass in Agricultural Science in lieu of credit pass in Biology.
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology requires credit in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
- Faculty of Health Sciences will admit only a few of the successful candidates of the Remedial Students of the Faculty of Science at the end of the programme.
The programme is open only to candidates from the catchment area of University of Ilorin.
6. Non-Degree Programme
- Associate Certificate in Education: (ACE)
The course is open to Primary School Teachers who passed the Teachers’ Grade I or II Certificate with not less than five years teaching experience after obtaining the Grade II Teachers Certificate.
- Certificate in Physical and Health Education: (PHE)
Candidates must be holders of Grade II Teachers Certificate, WASC/SSCE/GCE O/Level with at least credit passes in three subjects. However, candidates with two credits, but in any case, not less than one credit with outstanding sporting achievements at the State or National level may be considered for admission.
- Diploma in Mathematics and Physics Education:
Candidates must possess at least one of the following qualifications:
- WASC/SSCE/GCE O/Level with at least three credits, one of which must be in a Science subject obtained at not more than two sittings. Where the credits are not in Mathematics and/or Physics, a Pass grade P7 or P8 must be obtained in these two Science subjects.
- Teachers’ Grade II Certificate with credits in a1 least three teaching subjects including Mathematics. Where the credits are not in Physics or Genera Science, Merit must be obtained in wither of these.
For (1) (2) (3) courses, candidates who satisfy the minimum entry requirements will be admitted on the basis of their performance in the entrance examination.
The University conducts three and four year courses for students who gain admission into the Faculty of Arts, Business and Social Science and Education.
Undergraduate programmes in the Faculties of Agriculture and Engineering/Technology Law and in Health Sciences are of 5 and 6 years duration respectively. The first year of the programme is an integral part of the programme and students take 100 level courses during the year.
University Matriculation Examination (U.M.E.)
- Same as for General Entry Requirements.
- Subjects passed at SSCE/O’ Level must be obtained at not more than two sittings. Same as for General Entry Requirements.
- The General Paper in GCE A’ Level or its equivalent will NOT be accepted as a substitute for SSCE/O’ Level Credit in English Language.
- A pass in a subject in the final examination of the NDA Certificate of Education as moderated by the Institute of Education of the University of Ibadan is regarded as an Advanced Level equivalent.
- A credit pass in English Language of the IJMB. at the ‘O’Level is acceptable as equivalent to SSCE/G.C.E. (O’ Level) for admission purposes.
Admission Requirement for Agricultural Courses
UTME Requirement – Five ‘O’ level credit passes to include English language, Biology/Agric Science, Chemistry and any two of Mathematics, Physics, Geography and Economics.
Direct Entry Requirement – at least two ‘A’ level passes in Chemistry and one from Biology/Botany/Zoology/Agric Science, Economics, Physics, Geography and Geology/Mathematics (Pure & Applied)